The Cortland County Historical Society’s Kellogg Memorial
Research Library is a treasure trove of historic resources, and the
Society publishes many works of interest which are available for
purchase in the library’s gift shop. The museum and research
library are supported by members, which includes discounts for
purchases in the gift shop, free use of the research library, free
tours of the museum, periodicals and notices of special events.
Our research materials include:
Census Data -
* Unofficial finding list for 1800 -
1810; Federal 7 NYS, on microfilm and indexed to 1930.
City & County Records -
* Directory - first issued in 1869,
subsequently published from 1880-1986.
*Early City assessment records
Cemetery Records -
* County coverage and part of St.
* Manuscript and printed, with Cortland
* 19th and 20th century histories of the
county, its towns and people.
* NYS and some other county
Birth, Death & Marriage Records -
* obtained from
newspapers, genealogies, scrapbooks, etc.
Business Records -
* Thousands of Brockway Motor Truck Co. slides, photographs
* Wickwire Bros. Wire and Steel Co. business records
* Business records of Champion Sheet Metal, Thomas Chollar
potteries, and many early county businesses.
* Original records of Cortland County Farm and the Children’s
Surname Files -
* News clips, genealogical sheets and
other contributed information.
Early records of County’s first Baptist and Methodist Episcopal
* Financial records and minute books from local Loyal Order
of King Daughters, Daughters of American Revolution, Twentieth
Century Club, Homer Garden Club, Ladies Literary Club, Fortnightly,
and other organizations.
Photographic Files -
* photo documentation of people,
homes, businesses and events.
* Diaries, oral tapes, photographic slides, Daguerreotypes
and stereopticon slides and glass plate negatives
* including Sandborn insurance maps, some with lot numbers
* 1876 Cortland County Atlas.
Military Records -
* Four volumes of Revolutionary
War Pension Abstracts,
* considerable material on the Civil War, WWII
veterans and other USA engagements.
* DAR record books
Scrapbooks / Newspapers / Much More!
Assisted research is provided to the Society’s membership free
of charge. A fee of $8.00 for the first hour and $5.00 for each
additional hour for non-members helps maintain the research
Photocopying service is available at a nominal fee. Some
materials may be designated as not eligible for photocopying.
Research conducted by the Society’s staff and experienced
volunteer researchers can be provided at $15 per hour.
Photocopying and postage are additional.
Before publication of any materials from the Cortland County
Historical Society’s collections, please request permission in
writing. Include an explanation of how the materials will be
used. In addition to permission from the Director, permission of the
donator of the material may also be required.
Copies of manuscripts, genealogical records or published books,
articles, etc., which, in whole or in part, were produced through
research at the Historical Society, should be donated to the
Kellogg Memorial Research Library for the benefit of other
All published, duplicated or exhibited materials from the
Society’s collections must be credited to the Society and
for example, as “John Smith Papers, Cortland County Historical
Society, Cortland, NY.”
The Historical Society reserves the right to close any of its
collections, in whole or in part. Researchers who do not abide
by these and other published rules for library use can be denied
access to the Research Library.
Materials housed in the Research Library are the result of
intensive efforts of volunteers since 1925. The Society cannot
be held responsible for erroneous or incomplete information
supplied by volunteers and others. The researcher must determine
the validity and pertinence of the information regarding his or